Why test for drugs and alcohol?
Testing staff members for drug and alcohol use is becoming more commonplace in a number of industry sectors and no longer has the surveillance stigma that it used to have. Employees know that it is in everyone’s best interest to have a clean and safe workplace with minimal injury and accident risks.
At Drug Testing Services we believe in testing for a number of reasons:
- Attract and retain a higher calibre of workforce so you don’t have to deal with issues once people are employed.
- Send a message right from the start that yours is a clean and safe workplace that does not tolerate drug and alcohol use. Unfortunately, some users seek out companies that do not have a testing policy – do not become a target for that type of workforce by doing nothing.
- Demonstrate to your customers that your business has set a standard for excellence in everything you do – beginning with staff that have the right attitude and aptitude to get the job done efficiently.
- Meet your obligations under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015.
Your primary duty of care is to ensure the health and safety of your workers (and the people they interact with) along with the “provision and maintenance of a work environment that is without risks to health and safety”. Under the Act, a hazard includes behaviour that is affected by drugs or alcohol. Government reforms in 2016 to New Zealand’s health and safety system now mean that company director duties and liabilities have changed and in some cases directors are personally liable under the Act, with new penalties for a breach of duty.
- Workplace drug and alcohol testing with Drug Testing Services is an easy and discreet way of helping you practically address the risks involved with drug and alcohol impaired employees.
Read more about the different types of Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing that we do.
Or get in touch to discuss your specific needs.